Quesadillas corn tortillas typically stuffed with Mexican Queso to which you can add other ingredients to taste: today, we prepare them with chicken and peppers!
The quesadilla is a unique dish of Mexican cuisine, rich in ingredients and flavours, usually served with accompanying sauces such as guacamole or Pico de Gallo. The Quesadillas are composed of corn tortillas traditionally stuffed with Queso Mexican, a stretched curd cheese, delicious and used a bit ‘like our local mozzarella, to enrich the dishes and give them a sleek touch. To this, you can then combine all the ingredients you prefer, thus creating a tasty and complete word, also ideal for taking with you on the occasion of a nice picnic outdoors or to serve as a delicious appetizer or an aperitif.
A typical dish of Tex-Mex cuisine, the Mexican Quesadilla is also particularly convenient to prepare in advance and assemble once everyone is seated at the table. Once you have prepared the corn tortillas and the filling with which to stuff them, collect them and heat them for a few minutes in a pan to melt the cheese and make them fragrant.
Today we will prepare them with spiced chicken with paprika, which adds a spicy note, and Grilled Peppers, sweet and with a slightly smoky flavour that complete the dish, but as we will see, you can indulge yourself with the imagination and with the ingredients that best satisfy your tastes or those of your guests. Once ready, cut the Quesadillas into practical single-portion triangles and serve them hot and racy: we are sure that no one will be able to resist!
And if you are planning to prepare an entire Mexican-themed menu for a fun evening with friends, try our recipes: Quesadillas vegetarian, Nachos, Tacos with meat, rice a la Mexicana, tacos with chicken, chilli with meat and beans, salad Brown Rice with Mexican Style and Spicy Chicken Wings.
And now, let’s knead the tortillas and prepare the tasty Mexican Quesadillas together following the Original Recipe!
- 350 gr of white cornflour
- 530 ml of warm water
- 5 gr of Salt
- FOR THE STUFFING:
- 600 gr of Chicken Breast
- 400 gr of Mexican Queso
- Three grilled peppers
- paprika to taste
- to taste Salt
- to a taste of pepper
- qs of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
How To Make Quesadillas
- To prepare the Quesadillas, start with the corn tortillas: combine the cornflour, salt and warm water in a bowl, and knead until you get a compact and workable dough. Divide the dough into eight balls.
- Roll out each ball thinly, then cook each tortilla in a pan, 2 minutes per side. Once cooked, stack them and leave them wrapped in a clean cloth to keep them soft.
- Now take care of the filling: cut the chicken breast into strips, season with salt, pepper and paprika and cook in a pan with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Finally, add the grilled peppers and leave them to flavour for a few minutes.
- Heat a tortilla in a pan, stuff it with Queso Mexicano and the chicken and pepper filling. Close it in half and brown it on both sides. Please continue like this with all the tortillas, then serve your Quesadillas hot, cutting them into triangles.
Variants and Alternatives
If you want to reduce the preparation time, you can also buy pre-packaged tortillas purchased in almost all supermarkets. If you can’t find the Mexican Queso, you can easily replace it with the same amount of Fontina, Gouda, Edamer or Emmentaler. And to add an extra touch of flavour, add some grilled onions to the filling: you will see that they will go very well with the other ingredients. If you like, you can also stuff the Quesadillas with corn, avocado, black beans, olives fresh tomatoes.
The cornflour used to prepare tortillas is not the same used to make Polenta, but it is a special flour called ” masa harina “, if you do not find it in supermarkets you can easily buy it online. To roll out the tortillas more quickly, place the ball of dough between two sheets of parchment paper and roll it out with a rolling pin or press it firmly with a pan. Then cup them to get the classic round shape.
How to Store Quesadillas, the Original Recipe
The Quesadillas are kept in the refrigerator in an airtight container for two days.
Also read: how to stop binge eating